View Single Post
Old 11-04-08, 11:53 AM   #6
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Sure, if you can - go for it! The 9800 will be more future-proof, in any case.

It's a shame I don't have a desktop PC anymore. This is a good time to upgrade, especially when it comes to video cards. I bought an 8600GT a year ago for the exact same price as the 9800 you're looking at right now - and I thought that was pretty cheap. You'd be getting a very good deal, no doubt.

Good if an ATI expert could pitch in here though. I got nothing against them, but I have no experience with them recently (the last ATI cards I had my hands on were an ATI Rage 128 and a Radeon 9600, which are looooong obsolete).

[edit]

For the sake of mentioning something on it - one thing that kept me away from ATI cards is their driver support. They're great cards for sure, but the software support leaves things to be desired. Their drivers aren't updated as often as nVidia's, don't seem to be as good in terms of features, and often come with problems to begin with. Unfortunately that's something that often happens with hardware - great product, shoddy driver support. Out of things I own, things like Saitek's HOTAS controllers and Creative X-Fi sound cards come to mind. The item itself is good, software not so great and often requires a lot of messing around to get working as you want it to.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)

Last edited by CCIP; 11-04-08 at 12:10 PM.
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote