View Single Post
Old 10-17-08, 03:54 PM   #709
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Okay, here we go!

1. 3" mount on the starboard side, right beside #3 14" turret.

2. Stack of shells on display. Can't tell the location or size from the picture, but I'm guessing 14" or else people would be picking them up and carrying them around.

3. In the covered 5" gun room. Those are 5" shells they're looking at.

4. Who knows? A corridor is a corridor. Of course we can all see the sign that says 'Cafeteria', so that's one thing there.

5. Ship's machine and fabrication shop. On a ship that big they have the ability to make new parts when needed.

6. I could be misremebering, but I think that's the ladder that took us down to the Handling Room level. You can't see it, but just to the left as you climb down is the original ladder, which is just rungs welded onto the bulkhead.

7. Handling Room. That's where the shells and powder are loaded into hoists to be carried up to the turret. We're looking at the access ladder that leads up to the next level, where everything is transferred to yet another hoist for safety from an explosion in the turret.

8. UnderseaLcpl and some old sailor in the powder room. The powder bags were stacked in the cradles James is stepping in.

9. Our Guide demonstrating the powder bags. Full of powder they weighed 105...125...a lot!

10. Our Guide showing us the powder safety doors between the powder handling room and the main handling room. The powder bag is placed into the cradle and the door closed. The bell is rung, indicating that it is safe to open the door on the other side.

11. The safety door control lever.

12. The other side of the safety door, in the main handling room.

13. One of the shell rooms. You can see the shells stacked vertically, nose down, and the hoist for moving the 1250-pound shells.

14. The shell hoist. You can see how someone might slip and drop the shell before the chain was attached, causing the dimples we saw in the 1/2" steel deck.

And that's the magazine, shell and handling rooms.