View Single Post
Old 08-22-08, 04:56 PM   #682
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default Missing TGA files

I got into an 'interesting' situation last night with a couple of 'new' Marus. This is my first patrol on the USS Stingray (USS-186) (Salmon Class).

The first was the KMSS Ryunn. I only had a sound contact throughout the fight, due to being in a three-week-long MONSOON. LOTS of rain - visibility about 300 yards. My lookouts never were able to spot it, but I could get a visual (shadow) through the TBT on the bridge (did I mention that this was a SURFACE/NIGHT attack?). I tried a four torpedo snap shot spread at bearing 0, range 5-600 yards, AOB 80-90, and 15 second intervals, and missed with all four (one went off premeturely). Not wanting to waste anymore torpedoes on him since I couldn't get a good lock (solution), I finished him off with the deck gun, personally aiming it since the gunners couldn't see him through the fog. 4400 tons, and quite exciting. I had to get real close to fire off a couple of rounds, then All Back Emergency to keep from running into it. The Gun Crew deserves medals for this one. I just had to share this one with you.

The second attack brings up my question. This was a 'normal' submerged attack, just before dawn in the East China Sea, north of Okinawa. Got a good solution on the KMSS HogIslandJPN, fired three torpedoes at around 1200 yards, and scored three hits. When I consulted the attack (plot) map, all I could see of the target was: "TGA shape not found" at the point the target should have shown up.

After I exited the game, I checked through the . . \data\sea folders. Neither the Ryuun or the HogIslandJPN ships had a _shp.dds file in their folders. I haven't seen either of these ships before, so I suppose they are some of the new ships that Ducimus added in with the Overhauled TM Mod.

According to the TM FAQ, I do the following (since I like these parts of the game):

4.) How do i get back "tails" and sensor information on the navigation map?

Disable TMO, and delete the following two files:
\Data\Menu\gui\ContLine.dds
\Data\Menu\gui\DashLine.dds

5.) How do i get back the ship sillouttes on the contact map?

Go to the /data/sea directory in TMO. There you will find about 98 subdirectories, one for each ship in the game. Located in each one of these subdirectories is a DDS file. This file will be named whatever the ships name is _shp.dds (*_ship.dds). Delete each of these files from all subdiretories. Warning, not all ships are from the stock game, so deleting these particuar ships means they wont show up on the map at all. I recommend you play with the ship sillouttes as is. The idea is to cut down the amount of unrealistic information the stock Navagation map gives you, and to simulate markings that a tracking party member might have put down with a grease pencil.

All ship sillouttes (original) show up on the attack map when I adjust the mod as advised. Most of the new ships, added by TMO don't. The question is: Can I just copy/paste a _shp.dds from an appropriate ship into the folder of the new ship, and change the filename to get it to show up? Can I do this without disabling the Mods now enabled (including RSRDC)?

Thanks in advance.