View Single Post
Old 08-22-08, 02:09 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

i dont claim to be an expert.

but:

as far as im aware submarines change depth by altering buoyancy by flooding tanks with sea water to dive, and using onboard high pressure air to force water out of the tanks to surface.

dive planes merely assist the submarine by expediting the process of surfacing or submerging by allowing the crew to set a dive angle or ascent angle for diving or surfacing.

if for example, you were at ahead full and ordered a sub to surface, the dive planes would be set to an angle which would force the bow upward, however, what is acutally causing the sub to ascend from the depths is the increasing buoyancy by use of high pressure air to empty ballast tanks.

the dive planes alone are not what is causing the sub to surface... unlike an airplane, which uses elevators to set an angle of attack to increase lift which causes a climb to occur.

dive planes add stability, and, if the submarine is moving can modify how quickly or slowly the sub ascends or descends... if your sub is not moving, i mean zero speed... and you set the dive planes to full rise, nothing would happen because you are not dumping ballast water overboard.

so my answer is no... subs dont "stall" in the way that airplanes can because they are not "climbing" or "ascending" on the same principles

EDIT: check this out... http://science.howstuffworks.com/submarine1.htm ...scroll down to the picture of the sub's cross section and click the "SUBMERGE" button... observe the process... then click the "SURFACE" button and observe the process. in theory a sub doesnt even need dive planes.