Thread: AOD Still Rocks
View Single Post
Old 08-22-08, 12:30 AM   #19
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Two non-graphic things I didn't like in AOD:

1) While the weather seems to be dynamic in that when you go out on deck it has changed since last time, I noticed that while running in high TC it actually repeated itself - foggy at 0200, sunny at 0800, partly cloudy at 1000, overcast at 1400; over and over, every day. Not a big deal, as SH1's weather was variable but stayed the same all day, and changed exactly at midnight every night.

2) Situational awareness. I liked the single white line representing the noise of a convoy far away, but I never liked being able to put up the periscope and automatically see every single ship marked on the map. While I much prefer the way I have SH3 set up (Assisted Plotting Mod - the only ship that appears on the map is the one you mark with the periscope), AOD was still a great improvement on Silent Service, in which every ship showed up on the map even when you were 300 feet down. On the other hand I did have some fun with SS 'dogfighting' with several destroyers at once and firing torpedoes from a safe depth.

No way am I knocking AOD or SH1 - just remembering that there were things I thought could have been better even then; and things I actually prefer in the newer sims.