Thread: virus help
View Single Post
Old 07-22-08, 11:00 PM   #18
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

I agree with Subman. HijackThis is a great program but using it can be a buggar if you don't know how to read it. Safe mode is a good option as it turns off nonesential processes and frequently spyware/viruses are not active then.

On the other hand--if you don't have anything of great importance on your system (nothing you can't replace with a download or program reinstall) a wipe and reload isn't really a bad option. Sometimes it saves you time in the long run. Especially if you know what drivers you need to get your components working again. (Check Device Manager to get those details).

I've been fixing more malware problems lately than I've ever seen in years of computer repair. Oh--my 2 cents here--Norton isn't worth 2 cents. Once you're problem is resolved I'd recommend a different anti-virus program. I currently use AVG free version on my home system (www.free.grisoft.com) and it does a good job without making a huge foot-print on my computer's performance. If subman has a recommendation for anti-virus, take him seriously as well. I may not agree with all his political philosophies but I certainly respect his tech knowledge .

Good Luck!