Thread: Vista problams?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-08, 06:36 PM   #3
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Ok here's what I need you to do dude. Give me the details of your laptop.

There isn't a need to reinstall factory os just yet.

If you have 1gig of ram thats 100% your problem.

Vista sucks up 512megs of ram for itself give or take a few megs.

Second Vista uses shared memory ontop of Video.

So example,

My Geforce 7600 GT has Dedicated video memory 256m

System video memory is 0m

Vista uses Shared system memory 240m

= total of 496MB

If you video card doesn't have its own memory then its sucking up from your main memory.

I've encountered with ACER laptop and Sony Viao laptops when it boots Bios dedicates memory to those hardwares.

Vista then uses whats left.

If you have one gig or ram there isn't much you can do.

If you have 2gigs then your starting to have room to breath.

Ideally its important that when you do purchase laptops get minimum 2gigs ram ideally 3 or more.

Next thing to consider is harddrive space. I'm going to assume you have enough.
Also defrag it time to time.

Make sure you DirectX is up to date. June 2008 is avaible at MS site.

Make sure your drivers is latest and if that is the problem roll back to an earlier version that worked for you.

You can disable your wifi network card if you believe its the cause. Its possible if its active in the backround there are programs that are busy working on searching for updates etc.

Vista tweaks that I believe are effect ways to reduce CTDs and improve performances.

Game icons on desktop, Right click and go to properties. In the menu Shortcut look for button Advanced... open it and check on Run as administrator. OK

Then click on the Compatibility menu above.
Check on Run this program in compatibility mod for Windows XP SP2

Privilege level should be checked.

apply and ok

Then right click on Computer and go to propterties. Look for Advanced system settings open that. Performance open, click on adjust for best performance the apply. Yes your vista won't look as pretty but thats a sacrifice worth taking.

Open Data Execution Prevention menu above.

Click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"

Click on add and fine Silent Hunter III exe files and you can do this for any game.

Apply and ok

Still in Sytem Properties look for Remote.

Make sure Remote Assistance if check off.

Don't allow connections to this computer under Remote Desktop.

Lastly I would only suggest you do this if your the sol user of the computer.

UAC turn it off. But only if you feel not the need to have multiple accounts on your computer. Other wise its a resource sucker.

Other easier options are spybot to make sure you have no backround nonsense stuff running. and Antivirus can use too much resources so if you feel the need to play you can disconnect the network and disable the antivirus program so you can play freely.

Just remember to disconnect your network before you disable your antivirus program.

good luck.

Hmmm I hope I didn't forget anything....:hmm:

Yup I did forget something make sure you have SP 1 for Vista installed. It fixes alot