View Single Post
Old 04-10-08, 12:32 AM   #12
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

A two-for-one kit with both u-boats? That would almost be enough to tempt me into purchasing it, S.S., but I'll stick with the 1/144 VIIC as I had more in mind using it as a "mascot" of sorts to display above my desk while playing SH3.

1/2400 scale sounds almost insanely small. You could probably fight the entire Battle of the North Atlantic in your bathtub! What's the postal charge for delivering a box the size of a pack of cigarettes? :p

What's next? Instead of "ship-in-a-bottle" will it be "ship-in-a-pill capsule"?

Siara, I'll try to take snapshots of the build process, if you guys really want to see, but I'm not responsible for any feelings of dismay and shock you may feel at seeing such an amateur work! I haven't built or painted a single model since I was 14-years old.

Modern concepts such as kit-bashing and 3rd-party add-on kits just didn't exist, in a commercial sense, back then.

Must be something about all this nautical stuff that stirs my blood. Reading books like "Old Ironsides", "Two Years Before the Mast", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", and "Moby Dick" never failed to put me in the mood to be a sailor. Building ships was as close as I could come to that fantasy.

That VIIC wouldn't be my first sub, though. I did have the USS Nautilus in my long-lost collection. Everything I had ( including a large collection of my art ) got lost by the moving company when my dad was moved across the state to a new job.

The most complex build I ever did was my favorite sailing ship, the Constitution. It took me a week to string the rigging. I remember hating the plastic sails so I used an old handkerchief, cut the sails out, made shape molds out of modeling clay, laid the hankys over the molds, and then brushed them with matte clearcoat to stiffen the fabric. After they dried, I used thread to make the furling lines on each sail and brushed on more clearcoat to "glue" them into place. I used a thumbtack to make the holes in the corners and along the edges to fit the rigging and stays.

If I decide to do a first-class job with the VIIC and purchase additional parts to finish the model, it may take all summer to complete it. Providing nothing unexpected comes up with the finances, I'll be ordering the model next month.