View Single Post
Old 04-06-08, 12:40 AM   #1
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Supposed World War II Dogfighting Footage

I'm very skeptical of this. In the past, I've seen a lot of films taken by actual pilots. For starters, the BF-109, when firing, has no smoke visible from the gun barrels, no tracer rounds can be seen, and no flashes from the gun barrels, even when you slow the footage down (at 0:52 for instance).

Secondly, the overall layout of the film seems a bit suspicious. Sure, you have planes coming in close contact with one another, but at 2:18, you have a Spitfire that darts DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the camera. The guncam shows that the pilot recording the footage made no attempt to fire back. With that said, the Spitfire's gun barrels show no flashes or smoke trails or visible tracer rounds. To top this all off, the "digitally remastered" note on this video has made me extremely suspicious, as 1941 guncam footage in this type of color was very rare (if not non-existent in most cases; this would have been in black and white; the footage appears to be from a 1960's or 1970's reenactment, not from 1941).

Thirdly and finally, the layout of the whole dogfight seems suspicious. When the German leader causes the one Spitfire to pull away with black smoke popping out of the radiator, he continues to fly straight away from land, seemingly forgetting the existence of the second Spitfire (this was the moment when the pilot recording the guncam footage has the second Spitfire pull right in front of him, but he never fired a shot at the enemy or even made an attempt to force him to break away from his flight leader).

What do you all think? This might come from the Romano Archives, but I'm very suspicious of it. One other thing I noticed was that when the German leader's plane was damaged, extremely close to the pilot recording this footage, no metal pieces flew backwards. There was no visible sign of damage, either, save for white smoke which can very easily be installed and detonated in a reenactment. This only strengthens my belief that this is fake/staged, not at all authentic.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote