Old 04-04-08, 07:40 PM   #30
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hey, I forgot about something above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb
I just noticed something that puts the whole uboat targeting into a new light. I think the German TDC/stadimeter calculations are completely off-course. The distance to target found using the TDC's stadimeter is largely different from the one measured on map.
I made an ideal-scenario mission, with 5 various ships, the uboat at P-depth at 2500 meters from them and used the stadimeter, while at the same time I measured the distances on map, with map contacts on. The differences between stadimeter and map go as far as 1000 meters, at a distance of 2500 meters, which gives a 30% error!!!!!
I think this is why so many torps are missing.
Can someone confirm my findings, or did I go wrong somewhere?
Also, dcb, the stadimeter method of measuring range assumes that you know the real height of that mast! Guess what? Much of the time the information was not correct. Why?

1. Inaccurate information could be "supplied" by the target's owner. That would make your stadimeter tell you the wrong range even if you were perfectly using it!

2. Masts were altered to have a different height than that published with the same result--a clean miss!

3. Masts were painted in such a way that their height could not be determined. Another miss!

Capn Scurvy has determined that many mast heights are wrong in the SH4 database, resulting in inaccurate ranges. This is a reflection of real life, even if they are caused by error. Game error simulating real life error would be strangely appropriate!:rotfl:

There is a reason why I use the stadimeter when I am forced to. There are other attack methods that do not depend on precise range being known. When they are appropriate to the circumstances, they are much more accurate. Use the Dick O'Kane (with U-Boat or fleet boat) method or Fast-90 (with U-Boat only) and see torpedoes hit your target within 5 meters of where you aim each individual torpedo. They are awesome methods!

I go with klh on that one, Duci. Two fish and they stop or slow down. Check it out and see if they want more. With big warships they get the whole front six from the fleet boat and the anemic four from the U-Boat.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote