Thread: Sonar attacks
View Single Post
Old 03-20-08, 03:18 AM   #5
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Ive worked out a method. It works!

You can plot a manual firing solution using only passive sonar. During my tests i was able to hit merchants at speeds up to 12 knots and range up to 2500 meters fairly accurate.

The problem is that you cannot range the target. But you can find course when you have just bearing by using an unknown variable for speed. The course alone doesnt help much because you still have 2 unknowns in your firing solution. Range and Speed.

But we have some information. The sonarman tells us the approximate speed. It can be slow, medium and fast. Slow means it is somewhere between 4 and 8 knots. Medium is 8 - 12. Fast is above 12. Knowing that we can limit the corridor where the target should be. Besides that range is realy not important. What we can do now is fire 3 torpedoes at the target at different possible speeds. So if it is slow you would fire 3 torpees at 3 firing solutions for 4, 6 and 8 knots. The results are great. At least one or two torpedoes do actualy hit up to a range of 2500 meters.

note: you must set up the firing solution manualy on attack map screen using the TDC manual input dials.

ps: I will make a detailed tutorial shortly.
WernerSobe is offline   Reply With Quote