View Single Post
Old 02-15-08, 11:25 AM   #27
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q3ark
I've had vista on my system for about the last eight months. I use it for my course work and some gaming mostly, and have so far (knock on wood), had no problems at all.

I remember when XP came out people where saying the same thing about that "I love win 98, XP is utter crap blah blah........"

anywho I just ignore em vista does exactly what I want it to do and is much easier to network than XP home edition was.
XP home wasn't intended to be NW'd. Only on a basic level. THis was to prevent you from using it as a business app so you would move to XP Pro. Home would also not do multicore CPU's or multi CPU at all. Quite frankly, you can pretty much compare XP Home to Vista Basic, though Vista Basic may be a slight upgrade if you don't count the decrease in performance. I don't know anyone that uses XP Home. Its a pathtic cheap crippled OS that people threw out there to save a buck on the unsuspecting public. Get XP Pro. Nothing Vista does is better than XP Pro.

People shifted to XP in droves after the first couple months when it became apparent that XP was a superior product to 98. This is not the case with Vista. Vista offers you 'nothing' over XP except downgrades. Its only saving grace is something that could be added to XP (but they won't) - DX10. THe only reason DX10 is not on XP is because it is being used as leverage to make you buy Vista. That is pathetic. Granted, in the past there were some technical issues that prevented DX10 from being back ported, but since NVidia wasn't able to make it work (ATI made it work, so it definetly works), so MS threw them a bone and removed that limitation so that the 8800 series could move forward onto DX10.

The only other thing? neat windows effects that can be added to XP if you really want it.

EVERYTHING else is a downgrade in Vista from its draconian DRM system (Half the reason it is slow in the first place) to its pure bloat. It offers nothing for you over XP. Its increased security is so annoying, you can hardly use your system if you don't turn it off. As I type this, that security system is disabled on this Vista box.

I challenge someone to show me 'one' good thing that Vista does that XP doesn't do better. I have yet to find that one thing.

'nuff said.

-S

PS. Vista has one thing better than XP (So I did find one thing) - It has better monitor detection making switching of monitors better after the system is booted. Problem is, its not perfect and screws up a lot.