View Single Post
Old 01-10-08, 12:05 PM   #12
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I was in the pump room and lower engine room (I forget whether fore or aft). I know which hatch that you speak of and I'll have to make it a point to look around down there. We're allowed to go just about anywhere as long as we're not a detriment to ourselves or the boat.

Our battery compartments have some stuff stored in them, but I was surprised at how big they are. I think you could hold an arena football game in there.

As for logging hours, Rick is working out those bugs. We're starting to keep track of how much money we raise for her restoration. They cut down a bunch of brush and trees around the memorial property so that she is a lot more visible to the highway traffic nearby. We're hoping that it attracts more attention and revenue this way.

As far as regular maintenace goes, I think it's only a few people that work on her on a regular basis. My hopeful attempt at restoring the 1MC system will be my first real maintenance activity. The question in my mind is how old is the equipment? She was decommissioned in 1969 and as much as I like original equipment, solid state electronics are a lot easier to work on/with. I'm guessing that it will be a 1950's or 60's box. The biggest concern is what condition the capacitors are in. Old capaictors tend to dry rot and crumble. This would require removing the circuit boards and soldering on new capacitors. The other trick is figuring out where the 1MC gets its power from and re-energizing those circuits. Do you know if it runs through the huge circuit breaker panel in the con near the helm or does it go to a small fuse box?
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote