View Single Post
Old 12-08-07, 11:09 PM   #44
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

This was fun, the seawater intakes in the kit are the wrong shape and they are not very accurate size-wise either. This is where Wayne Frey's knowledge came in handy, he kindly answered a few of my dumb questions about them and from that and inspection of some pics and diagrams, I made new ones. They were cut from thin polycarbonate and laminated three deep and then clamped together so they could be filed to the correct profile all in one go:

This is where the world wide interweb comes in handy, along with Photoshop. In this (tweaked for clarity) shot you can see me holding the six clamped and laminated pieces in front of a fairly accurate schematic drawing which I found on the 'net, although it was drawn at 1/400 scale and of course does not display at that size owing to a different monitor resolution, it was a relatively simple matter to resize the image to the correct scale and 'Bob's yer uncle', a decent placement guide for the new intakes, which, coupled with the pics of the Gepard backing out of the construction hall in Wayne's book made life a lot easier.

Fixed in place and awaiting some tidying, here's a quick shot of one of them through the magnifier:

Chock