View Single Post
Old 11-01-07, 09:32 AM   #163
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

As far as I remember, the mod simply replaces some sounds files. The new versions of the files have a second or two of silence before the appropriate sound, meaning that you always get a fixed delay. It's not linked to distance in any way, unfortunately, so even if you hit a ship at point-blank range you'll get a delay in the sound, identical to if you hit a ship at 6km!

I think it's the best compromise possible in SH3 since the engine doesn't seem to have the doppler effect built in to it - I'll be astounded if somebody could somehow include it, and lately anything seems possible!

Same for aircraft unfortunately - the pitch of the engine sound varies depending on the angle you are viewing it from, rather than the speed it's approaching or receding from the camera position. Very unrealistic effect when using the , and . view keys to jump to aircraft (or when viewing in the museum), but when aboard the bridge of your boat you can't tell the difference. It's a fudged effect but works fine during gameplay.
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote