Mraah
Engineer

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace11
How did weather affect radar performance...
Rain should definetly affect radar, I'm not sure about waves, possibly should mask small targets.

Ref
Rain probably does. From basic knowledge the atmosphere play's a bigtime role. From my experience as a controller I can tell you that small parts of my low altitude sectors have holes (altitude) due to mountains, however, on clear days, the hole is bigger because the beam (lobe) curves upward. On overcast days the hole is smaller (curves downward, reflect off moisture in clouds). On bad weather days, like thunderstorms etc, communications can be broken and unreadable but the targets vary ... I'll have radar on one guy near the weather and lose radar on someone else momentarily when logically I should see him. But I'm looking at secondary radar so it's really not affected as much as primary (what we're dealing with in SH4)

WWII radar ... I don't know. It was in it's infancy, so with that, they probably got saturated with return signals bouncing every which way. Ground clutter is another thing, hence you might read a minimum range on posted documents.

I'll see if I can find a chapter on rain in the book.
Mraah is offline   Reply With Quote