View Single Post
Old 04-21-07, 10:54 PM   #7
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
EDIT: What about ships. With the exception of those ships with nuclear propulsion, any other ships would not emit sound signature during a full stop right?(I mean engine sound signature). Too bad there's only fixed noise increment implemented for each(or is that every/shared noise increment) vessel in game. Otherwise we could play on the numbers beacuse every sub is optimized for specific speed range only imho. Above that noise increment would increase subtantially.
LOL.. yet another of my pet peeves that I feed on a regular basis.

OHP is a GREAT case. It is powered by gas turbines with a varaible bladed prop.

The gas turbine has a minimum rotational speed that it MUST maintain in order for the turbine to stay 'lit off'. This means the screw is ALWAYS turning, even at all stop. Now, here is where the variable pitch comes in. You neutral out the pitch and you have NO thrust vector. Meaning the thing is spinning but you ain't moving. As you start increasing the bell you are only increasing pitch till you max it out (being simple here folks) , THEN you are increasing the actual speed of the gas turbine to go any faster. What this means is that ships speed can increase without any increase in shaft RPM's. Where is this breakpoint from increasing pitch to increasing RPM's? Honestly I do not know.

Here is the kicker. You CAN decouple shaft speed from pitch in the game. Right click the throttle on the right side and you can move pitch independent of shaft (turbine) speed on the left side. With the left throttle quardrant at ahead full, I slammed the pitch in full reverse and guess what? The ship stops and then backs up.

I ran 2 machines here and performed a test. Guess what? It does not accurately model (at least from what I could tell) the fact that you can move these independantly. Imagine the hard time you can give a submariner in trying to get a solution on you. If he is relying on TPK from Demon...well you could make his life hard. He can hear you but how fast are you REALLY moving?
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote