View Single Post
Old 04-21-07, 10:21 PM   #6
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Is it possible to reduce the sonar signatre significantly at full stop with LWAMI. Or is this already done. I know that at full stop some machinery onboard are still operating like the electric generator, etc. but the engine sound signature should disappear altogether imo. No more engine harmonics. Luftwolf i'm asking this because with your realistic mod i have a very hard time successfully completing the first stock campaign mission. Perhpas a full stop would better hide my vessel/boat. Besides this was what made Sub command loses some relism point in gameplay. And i got the feelin that this persists even after DW.
Actually, this assumption is incorrect. Most of the systems still actually turn, even at Full Stop. On a ship, the boilers, reactors and turbines still work, because they have to turn the turbo-alternators to produce electrical power. There is an emergency diesel generator somewhere, but you tend to only start that up if the main generators that are tied to the main engines fail, and since those are emergency toys, they are probably not made for silence, just for being as small and unobtrusive while providing minimal capabilities as possible.

Even the screw often rotates at a slow speed. Some designs actually leak if the shaft is completely stopped (in port there's a stopper you put around the shaft seals). At slow speeds, a well-designed screw should be very quiet and make only an incremental increase over no rotation, not a well-defined jump.

Further, in real life, AFAIK most subs and ships like to maintain at least one or two knots (steerageway) so that they can determine their course in the face of currents underwater. We like to Full Stop, but that's actually a wee-bit unrealistic in realistic conditions.

That's not to say I won't want a more dynamic noise increase model. It can model a nuke sub's nat-circ going to main circulation and all that. Several extra noise coefficients could fix that. But I wouldn't waste one of them trying to model the difference b/w 0 and 1 knot.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote