View Single Post
Old 04-21-07, 08:30 PM   #3
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
What is the sonar signature of a completely stopping vessel like in LWAMI 3.08? As a vessel is at full stop they don't emit screw noise hence making the vessel stealthier than it is at 3 knots.

Is it possible to reduce the sonar signatre significantly at full stop with LWAMI. Or is this already done. I know that at full stop some machinery onboard are still operating like the electric generator, etc. but the engine sound signature should disappear altogether imo. No more engine harmonics. Luftwolf i'm asking this because with your realistic mod i have a very hard time successfully completing the first stock campaign mission. Perhpas a full stop would better hide my vessel/boat. Besides this was what made Sub command loses some relism point in gameplay. And i got the feelin that this persists even after DW.
A lot of what you are asking here is dependant on the type of sub involved. A diesel/electric will be essentially a hole in the water when the boat is not moving. You might have some fan noises and such but as far as propulsion related sounds, well.. they become essentially non-existant.

A nuclear powered boat on the other hand will ALWAYS have a base noise level regardless of how slow you spin the screw. This is due to how the propulsion plant operates. The trick answer here is at what speed does the noise level increase?

I wish we COULD control more aspects of the sonar model and baselines for noise levels. Then we could REALLY have some fun with folks as what does not change is the ability to be detected by an increase in speed but rather the ability of the sub to detect OTHER subs due to degregation of sonar capability as speed increases.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote