Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov[I
[/i]

- Wikipedia:
Unconfirmed reports indicate that the torpedoes' sensors can monitor surrounding electrical and magnetic fields used to sense the metallic mass of the ship's hull and detonate at the proper stand-off distance.
...lending some (granted, weak) support to the theory LW, myself, and others have shared that torps would not detonate on expendable decoys--a fix that has been part of LW/Ami since the beginning.

I think we've beaten the other subject to death...

Edit: but why not...
In theory, you could use the LW/Ami 4 controls to slow down the torp and switch it to passive homing, allowing you to discriminate between an active decoy and a loud, running submarine. Without being able to change the interface, this is a really good approximation of what Jane's is describing.

It's worth mentioning here that an older version of LW/Ami allowed torps to provide sonar information to ownship, similar to a UUV. This allowed a player to discriminate between the target and decoys with 100% effectiveness. It was nearly universally rejected by the community. Speaking for myself, I found it to be too abstracted to be realistic and that rendered an important skillset irrelevant in the sim.

Was "crapami" supposed to be a play on LW/Ami? If it was, I think it's really immature to resort to name calling in any case, and it's especially worse that you've done it here, considering that LW/Ami addresses both of these issues and that stock only addresses one (and only since 1.04, while LW/Ami fixed it while the current version was 1.01).

Last edited by Molon Labe; 04-10-07 at 11:50 AM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote