View Single Post
Old 01-04-07, 10:47 PM   #20
Andy
Watch

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

I do not know the intricacies of Jamie's Company that's a fact. And I never made pretenses to such. I stated what is common in DoD. On a similar note contractors never see the inside workings of the military acquisition process no matter how much time they spend on base or hobnobbing with the decision makers. They have no idea of what the focus and desires are when a unit is putting forward a request. They know what is in the proposal. For various reasons what the contractor sees as a request isn't always what the military wants. I write from the military side of the house where I have been for 19 years. Most of the time as an operator, but now as an instructor charged with digital training for our candidates. There will be a National Geographic special sometime in March, it depends on the editing, and I discuss some of the training.

I never referenced OFP. You are off the mark. I am referring to VBS1. A product that was improved to no end because of the company's interaction with the civilian community. An action which in turn greatly benefitted the military community. It was not only beneficial but extremely cost effective. It also allowed VBS2 to develop into a product that, unlike other sims, now in beta has no equal.

I look at what Jamie wrote and I am mystified. I appreciate his response but again I am left shaking my head. Was there nothing to be released that would have assisted modders? I never pointed to the fact that his company should spend the money to develop tools. There are enough talented people in the community that simply releasing source material would likely be enough. The reason for not releasing anything is exactly what Jamie stated then somewhat retracted. Military customer implications.

I don't know if BIA could learn anything. I don't mean to sound pompous but look at their track record. The Australians, the New Zealanders, the Marine Corps, the Special Warfare Center here at Bragg, The Canadians, the British MOD. And now the big green Army is looking very closely at VBS2. A product which is simply amazing. Look at the editor:

http://www.vbs2.com/media/movies/rea...ditor_high.wmv

More here:

http://www.vbs2.com/site/downloads.html

Their customer interaction has been like no other company with which I have ever dealt. In coordination with their parent company they neatly divided up the civilian and military sides of the house. Their tool inclusion was a stroke of genius.

I am guessing that what is being implied is that only tools could have helped the mod community. No other code or anything else would have been of assistance at all. Several people have commented to me that their impression was that such modding even without assistance seems to be verboten.

Well, there is always Sub Command. SCXIIc and the wonderful work by that Team have shown that a modable product will outlive one that can't be modded every time. That's good for the gamer and it's smart marketing all around. So much for this topic.

Last edited by Andy; 01-05-07 at 06:45 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote