View Single Post
Old 12-03-06, 03:12 PM   #51
Grayback
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdagger
Really, my least favorite was The Final Countdown...A Nimitz-class carrier gets taken back in time to Dec. 7, 1941 off the coast of Pearl Harbor.
I loved FC. It was inherently implausible, so I didn't need to factor that into how much fun a movie it was. The dogfight between Tomcats & Zeros was unforgettable - according to legend some of the low-speed/low-altitude maneuvers were came close to disaster. The most memorable thing about FC is the sound effects for radio communication - considering how cheesy FX were in that pre-CGI age (ofcourse they still are cheesy today, but for different reasons), it's great that radio communications from men in airplanes over water actually sound like radio communications from men in airplanes out over water.

Quote:
They sent an attack plane to do a recon run when on the flight deck right behind it was an AWACS!
Actually, it was a fighter, an RF-8. I don't see why this was a problem, since we had RF-8's for just such a mission. Considering that the recon flight occurred during a part of the story where the crew of the CVN still isn't sure of their situation, the choice of a supersonic fighter over a slow turboprop seems quite apt.
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote