View Single Post
Old 11-10-06, 10:39 PM   #3
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Im not sure exactly how they work. Im assuming its a bot honestly, but what they seem to do is find a forum, somehow script their way through the regestration process, and then post the same crap over and over again in random forums.

Ever see a forum or picture hosting place that, as a verification key to continue, puts up a PICTURE of a word? A script can't scan a picture, but it an scan for text. The picture of a word i think is one methord of trying to break the bot's scripted process, but this is conjecture on my part.

I remember though, they had to shut down new user regestration, and i think every friday the site owner would open it up again, and place bets as to how fast the bot would regester a new user account and place more spam.

Think of a form spam bot in the same way your email address gets into a spam list. Its basically the same thing, only instead of just spaming your inbox, it spams a forum.

Neal can try and ban the IP, or change the regestration process somehow. Only problem with IP banning is that whoever is responsibe for the bots, probably has a series of IP's to use. Not just a single C series, but a wide range of IP's. Many people who get infected with spyware or adware become unwilling hosts, with their machines launching "attacks" and not even be aware of it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote