Old 09-05-06, 07:11 AM   #6
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

A nice nostalgic story about an English woman and her passion for Airfix here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5311802.stm

Quote:
"On Friday evenings during my childhood I would receive my pocket money. A half crown from Mum and a half crown from Dad giving me a princely total of five shillings - that's 25 pence to you decimal types!

Then on Saturday morning I'd walk down to the high street. Sometimes I'd take just my pocket money and head for the stationers to see if they had a new Biggles story. If they did, that was 2/6d (12½ pence) spent and the other half crown to save.

Other times I'd raid my 'piggybank' and make a beeline for the toy shop with its shelves full of Airfix model kits. Those long lines of colourful boxes with their exciting pictures were an Aladdin's cave to me and I'd go straight to the WWI and WWII airplanes."
Sigh. Whilst I wasn't quite around in those early days it was the 80's for me when I would ruin mum's kitchen table with model glue.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote