View Single Post
Old 03-07-24, 08:08 PM   #308
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

In Golf+ : Its good that I switched from medium difficulty level "Amateur" to highest level "Pro". Because they describe the differences usually only in the ammount of aids and helping lines available. What they do not say is that the playing, the swinging itself becomes even more difficult on Pro level, I mean every single degree of the clubhead's face turning, every minor deviation in your movement flow when swinging, mercilessly gets translated into effects in the game, where before the game may have assisted with subtlety to forgive minor flaws and errors (I did not realise that, maybe because I never played real golf and could not compare). My aiming thus has detoriated, my precision has suffered, its all pretty messed up, the last three days were increasingly frustrating, and I must add many strikes per round, on average 10-15 strikes more. It does not help that I also made it a habit to start form back tees now.

I did not immediately realise that the game mechanics had changed as well, its not mentioned anywhere, usually. That was cause for mounting frustration and also growing anger, it really were three very discouraging days, and I slipped into a gloomy mood.

I now by chance stumbled over one of the devs commenting several years ago, when the game was in early access, revealing that not just the aids and help lines get switched off, but that the game becomes very unforgiving regarding your play, your swinging of the club. It doe snot just delete optinal assists, but it really unchains the full difficulty of playing golf.

I felt better a bit when realising that. My play still is messy and I realised that i have plenty of work to do, but I now know that I did not turn bad all of a sudden, but that now I probably meet the game on a setting where it really is the hardcore simulation of the real thing. Or was I really to believe that after just 3 months or so i already would have improved my handicap from 56 to 13?

I have not detoriated - the software on Pro has just set the challenges to realistic marks and no longer forgives minor mistakes. And thats something I can live with. Back to square one, start new from beginning.

Why that is good? Because I do no longer waste time with learning bad habits and techniques on Amateur/medium level (I never played on easy/Novice).

I think this title has gotten me hooked on it in all seriousness. I have formed some real ambition and motivation to improve, far beyond the motivation I usually would build for a new computer game. And the answer to qhy this is so, is simple:

The illusion of doing the real thing, Golf, is so convincing.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-07-24 at 08:20 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote