View Single Post
Old 03-03-24, 09:29 PM   #5850
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I finally got it to run, ran the Large address aware patch.

And now I can't load any saves; it crashes when I tried to reload a save game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Of course it was. I assumed it was because I over-wrote the save file.

I started another patrol, managed to finish it. There's definitely and issue with the campaign layers.

January-March '42, assigned to the Marshalls, nothing but Japanese destroyers zipping around like it was a racetrack. Ahistorical and unrealistic. No merchant ships.

"Patrol the Marshalls for five days". I did that, and the game wouldn't assign me any more objectives- no opportunity for more renown.

Patrolled NW and SW of Truk for a week plus. One small merchant ship.

Patrolled W of Rabaul for a week. One small merchant ship.

About as interesting as watching paint dry.
The game is strange in that a mod does not overwrite the Save folder, and neither will the game unless there is an addition to be made. You must empty the Save folder prior to playing the game, else you will end up with a mix of stock (or whatever you had before) and some FotrSU, waiting to CTD on you.

The fully modded game, for a December 1941 start, could assign you to patrol the Marshalls for 5 days, and then give you another assignment elsewhere nearby for a similar 5 days, and then another assignment nearby of like duration, and you would not be allowed to request other patrols until those first assignments are completed (naturally). The real early war assignments were a bit haphazardly conducted. It's the nature of the game.

The US thought the Japanese had a series of bases in the Marshalls and there were some US of the opinion that the Pearl Harbor attack had to have originated there. So, a majority of the first assignments went there. Only 3 boats went to Empire Waters. At the time, the Japanese hadn't tried to expand in the Marshalls area much, so you would initially only see DD and smaller patrol vessels in the area.

Since the game is a points-based game though, and getting assigned to the Marshalls can yield minimal sinkings, you do receive more renown for completing each of the assignments. So it's like being on 3 patrols at one time. The mod does take a stab at being somewhat realistic, though not as deeply as RSRDC, but you will not see the Stock game levels, that is for certain, unless you find a traffic route. Also, not to spoil the fun, but you can ignore the orders completely, and just go sink ships, but they aren't worth as much in FotRSU, so you need to sink more...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote