View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 09:28 AM   #555
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Understood, but I want to know how they taste because part of staying alive is the desire to stay alive. Don't want to stock anything that would make me want to die when I ate it.

My prepping runs less end of days, more snow storm, stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for a windmill to get assembled.
I know. My Prepping follows the same guide lines. I'm out on "the prairie", so all of my stuff assumes a long-term loss of electricity due to a storm or a tornado.

Short answer, they all* taste nasty if you have to eat them cold. The key is that they won't kill you, they'll just taste nasty. All you need beside the meal itself is some kind of Spork or silver ware. The fat and sodium content also tends to be a bit high, which is good in a survival situation.

My other "go to's" for cheap survival food are canned. Sardines and kippers are designed to be eaten cold. You also get the benefit of some healthy fish oils. Likewise, good old canned baked beans. I try to find the smaller (8 oz) cans with the pull top. Pretty cheap so they don't make a dent in your wallet when you're stocking up. The pull top just makes life easier and the small can works great for a single meal so you don't have to worry about storing left-overs. Small (8 oz) cans of veggies with a pull top are also good.

*- This winds up being about taste and what appeals to you. For me, the tomato-sauce-based Compleats (pasta, chili, beefy mac, etc.) have a good taste, hot or cold. Their beef stew is also really good cold. The rest fall into the "luck of the draw" category and some of them are down-right vile, hot or cold. The key is that they will fill you up without wiping you out, they are small packages and are easy to store or transport.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote