View Single Post
Old 02-06-24, 03:25 PM   #283
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I'm watching some game videos to see how it may look like and what games there is.

In one of these video the man talked about motion sickness in the end of his video and I have taken notice of what he said.

"- If you start to feel dizzy stop playing right now do not think you can overcome it by continue playing- Instead you will suffer from this sickness all day. Better to take 30 or 45 or an hours rest before playing again. If the motion sickness come back after a few minutes play then decrease the minutes you play per day and slowly increase go up in minutes"

It is taken from memory

Markus
Like I said.

If you start feeling motionsick, immediately stop, do not carry on. Else it will get worse - andn then will last much beyond the time when you stopped. Somewhere in this thread, earlier, I told of what happened to me when I once tried a fairground attraction in VR, one of these killer caroussel things that rotated me along all three space axis (the developer has taken it out of this software sicne then, so I seem to not have been alone). I stopped and felt nothing, initially. But an hour later after that I became so sick hat I could not stand, sit or lay on the ground,but all the world was coinstantly spiralling aorund me, i was constantly revolving aorudn my body axis and could not keep balance, fell of my feet, spiralling on and on, and when being on all four, I rolled over and over, a sif I hjad a neural desease, it was heel, it realyl was, and I felt like needing to vomit all the time,l and couldn'T, it was beyond my will and control to stop rolling, and I felt sick as a dog, so sick like the first - and only - time I got thoroughly drunk and probably had a mild or not so mild alcohol intoxication as a stupid teen.

However, this is, I think a very rare an d very extreme example. I woudl have called the emergcny, if I would have been able to get top and operate the telophone, but I couldn't. It was hell, and it lasted I think 3, 4 hours.

This is not to scare you, Markus, and most people never feel it this worse as I did on that day. Just saiyng what the man in that video says: if you feel it creeping on you, stop immediately, you cannot overcome it by trying to outlast it - it only will outlast YOU. And the longer you go on beyond the early indications, the worse the price you have to pay later on. Even if it comes with a delay. Its better to stop immediately. And next day coming back, and then from day to day increase the playing interval slightly. The brain adapts. The brain can learn to get used to it. The brain will learn to compensa for the initial contradicting signals from eyes and the inner ear.

It also helps to start it with gentle applicaitons. They often get rated in three or four comfort levels, this means mostly the speed of visual action takign place. If you start with a dogfighting simualötion or a SciFi Lightbike race in Tron, that would nto be wise - better tsrat with somehtign where oyu are slowly moving only - or stationary. Billiard would be good. Wander. Golf+. Walkabout Minigolf. A board game like Catan. At the end of this: Eleven. - Then go to a title like Cybrix where you can just stand still and only play with your arms, since the paddles in both hands left and right can reach the walls of your playing arena. Then go to Pickleball One and use the training options in it, it has many, and when it is with ball machines, the machine will shoot the ball to your position - you must not run to the ball - you can afford to stand still, and there is no visual teleportation. And only when this works without causing discomfort, I would consider things that include more visual and speeds movement.

You can often switch movement to either automovement - the computer "moves" you and you see it - or teleportation where the movement is skipepd and you get teleprted to the endposoitionb of that movement in a split of a second. This is meant to help people beign sensitive to motion sickness. Turnign in place to eithe rside cna be done in either smooth, constant mvomeent, or in definable turns of 30° or 45°, the latter works against motion sickness. Finally ther eoften is the option that on movement the field of vison gets reduced - you get a telkesocpe view, so to speak, the field of vision is narrowed by blackness at the periphery of your field of vision, this also helps people to counter motion sickness.

My Mum is 75, totally unexperienced woth computer work or games. She elarned to adapt to VR sinc elast autumn. Intially she stayed not longer than half an hour. A few days she played virtual pool - almost 8 hours long, all night through. 75. Seventy-five. She now plays Cybrix, a mix of breakout and squash. Today I introduced her to Pickleball. She kills for it! And she has deactivated all visual aids as described above.

Dont let yourself get scared away. Try it, you just do not know how you react to it as long as you have not tried it. If you bought it via Amazon, there is no problem in returning it if you find after a week or so that you cannot tolerate it, no matter what you try.

Do not try early on 2D PC games via PC-Quest link . Games and frmarates must be optimised to reduce the risk of nausea and moption sickness. You see, I can play raicng games in VR for hours, and I have no problems, I am completely invulnerable to it. But if I play The Hunter on the big movie screen, that wlaking and head shaking when moving makes me sick quite soon. Its not meant to be played like this. On other occaisons it may work, however - I play Wreckfest this way, on the big moviescreen, via Virtual Desktop - and it is fantastic, a completely new game. One must test out what works for oneself, and what not.

Stop making endless plans and endlessly thinking about what could go wrong. Do it - and see what happens. If all else fails, return the headset. Amazon is absolutely no problem, within the return period.

Edit:
And sicne you asked about that flightsim game, this is the WW1 verison that I mentioned, it got better rewiews, and I agree on their reasons. But for hjeaven'S sake - for the reasons I just explained dont try this at the very start of your journey with the Q3, leave it for some later time.