View Single Post
Old 02-05-24, 07:19 AM   #272
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

These two should get you started.

Two general tips for a start:
1. never expose the inner main lenses to direct sunlight. They then work like burning glasses and burn the LCD display inside.
2. On the left side, the power buitton that also manually acitvates standby mode, sits directly above the tiny left side lense. Do not mistake the two with the mask on your face, you may damage the lense if you mistake it for the button and press it heavily, wondering why ther eis no reaction.

Okay, two more tips.
3. In case you get the Meta Elite headstrap with integrated 2nd battery (maybe there are better options from external developers), keep on mind that that external battery discharges when you swithc off the headset and let it sit for a day with bthe battery plugged in to the USB port. You will lose 20% of power per day that way. Unplug the battery instead, it then keepos its charge for a long time.
4.Like all lithoum betteries, these and powerbanks do niot like beign completely dpelrted or fully charged up. It extends the lognevity of thes ebatteriues over their life cycle if one operates then within a 20%-80% range, like it is recommended for laptops, tablets and smartphones as well. Especially fully charging means additonal stress for the separator layer in the battery. Can be easily avoided! I charge my powerbank and headset to not more than 78-82%. Once the mask is at that range, a plugged-in powerbank will orughly keep it at that level for longer time. Some games, like shadow boxing, i play without external battery , however, do gain better freedom of movement. But then these sessions never last too long anyway...

Okay, for starters:

First users enjoy two free apps that come with the Quest 3 and that are meant and designed to demonstrate the handling and the possibilities. They all impress. The Quest 3 comes with "First Steps", "First Encounters" (demonstrating MR), and "First Hand" demonstrating hand tracking, the Quest 3 can operate with just bare hands, without contorllers). However I would also recommend to get "First Contact" for free from the app store, which was the similar demonstrator for the Rift 1 years ago. Its still actual and state of the art, and is very enjoyable and charming. First Contact and First Encounter are the two demos you maybe want to keep to impress the occasional visitor or guest, the other two you check out once and then can deinstall to save a little bit of storage. First Hand I did not even play to the end. - All these apps are for free, no hooks and no traps.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-05-24 at 07:28 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote