Old 02-04-24, 08:56 PM   #271
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
You mentioned batteries earlier.

What type of batteries do you use and how many mah. do they have.

The strongest chargeble batteries I found on the web have 5200 mah.
but only 1.2 V.

Markus
I use these, and I prescribed these for my Mum, too. You need one batterie per controller. So two batteries in use, two in reserve. As I said, they hold for one week or longer, and I use the headset a lot.

Normal batteries you can also use, but the costs will maybe add up over the months.

https://www.amazon.de/Kratax-Wiedera...s%2C76&sr=8-17

Mind you again, you must calculate for external batteries for the headset, too, the internal battery will not last for long. Either a headstrap with battery in it, or an external powerbank that is high in capacity and discharge power, and a fast USB cable. Many people ignore that, do not know it: the cable must support the high consumption rate, too. Powerbanks of same capacity cna vary in discharging power. Usually that is no problem. With the Quest 3, I found awareness of these factors to be critical.

But I would wait with that until you have had the headset for a few days and checked that your brain can get used ot it without giving you motion sickness. If that is the case, train yourself, like my Mum did (it works). No fast-moving games in the beginning, and not long use per day, then slowly increasing the usage per day. Important is to do it every day, its better than to do it every couple of days and then longer sessions, that does not work too well. People are different, some are prone to it, some are not, one never knows in advance for sure. The problem is less prevalent with a quality headset like the Quest 3, and with games that have good VR optimization. But it can be trained away, the brain just needs the opportunity to get used to it.

This is not to discourage you - try it, and you will see how it is for you. If you bought with a trustworthy trader or Amazon (!), you can give it back within a certain timeframe anyway.

We use these:

https://www.amazon.de/UGREEN-Ladekab...73&sr=8-9&th=1
(note this is a 100W cable)

https://www.amazon.de/INIU-25000mAh-...ps%2C94&sr=8-3

With a "slower" powerbank it could be that the headset nevertheless discharges, just slower than without external battery. One such battery usually gets me over the day's use. I only rarely use the battery in the Elite headstrap, its of similiar capacity like the internal battery and so doubles the headset'S default working time. But the powerbank has I think around 5x as much capacity, it lasts for hours. I carry it in a small pouch on my belt. The cable is 1m.

Power is an issue with the Quest 3, its is very hungry. Thats why they even slowed it down a bit - it so far runs not with its full power unleashed. Many do not know this! Means: it can be hacked to become even better - and slightly warmer. And that bwould not even be ov erclocking in the meanign of going beyoind standard values. The headset is currently operating with the brakes slightly applied. The problem is the standing time of the internal battery. One can handle this issue, and easily. One just needs to know it.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-05-24 at 07:00 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote