View Single Post
Old 02-03-24, 06:00 PM   #261
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Also, if you ever buy a gaming PC - do buy a BEEFY one. Buy one that gives you performance reserves, even if you do not need them right now.

My rig is from autumn 2017, an i7 8700K, with now 32GB (originally 16 GB) RAM and a GTX 1080TI with 11 or 13 GB, I forgot. That was almost overkill for my software needs back then, and it ran the Oculus Rift 1 fine.

Two years ago I replaced the headset with the HP G2 Reverb. It had four times a higher resolution, and I was not certain the old card and CPU could support that. Showed it can, if I lowered settings just a very little bit, the only exception is MSFS, which originally worked fine, but after one update of theirs started to give me problems. That reserve I had from my PC buying from three years before had paid off in full, I was very happy that I had decided for it. If I had a hardware that just so ran the Rift 1, it would have declared MIA when the G2 arrived - which would have been a costly desaster. The Rift had lost sound, and the display was too obviously outdated, and it was not available anymore in 2020. I HAD to buy another headset with its greater resolution, I had no choice.

The Quest 3 I originally only bought to test whether it would be suitable for my old parents, especially my mother, simple use and app availability and handling, all that on my mind. I then wanted to hand it over to her. But I was knocked out of my shoes and kept it, and ordered a second one for her.

What I sometimes mentioiend but do not do justice to is voirtual travelling. My Mum also loves it, and sometimes we do sightseeing in the world together. Google Eareth needs a PC link to run in the Quest 3, but the streetview part alone without the 3D-,map interface of GE is available via the app Wander, and it is a modern miracle. Also, there is so much video material in 360 and 180° and in 4, 8, 12K documenting other places, city sightseeing and nature, via youtube and other platforms or as dedicated standalone braodcasts, that you can get lost with just this alone already.

If I do not mention a PC-only link, all games of the past months I introduced here, are independent from PC.

As mentioned some time ago, the experience of watching your movies (streaming or from CD/Bluray), from inside a cinemahall, on the big screen, is fully worth it, and quite overwhelming. I do not watch "big movies" any other way anymore.

You do not need a PC anymore for satisfying VR experiences!

Everybody getting a Quest must be aware of that a headtrap replacement is a must, the default one is designed to cause a pain and to force people to go into the money again for replacing it. Does not matter whether the repalcmement is wioth or without battery. The battery of the Quest is its weakness, it does not last long, with a bigger one it would have become heavier. So for longer sessions an external power bank and fast USB cable and for example a trekking belt pouch are highly recommended from my side. - Means, there are some follow-on costs you cannot avoid. My 128 GB Quest if full to three quarters now, there is also a version with 512 GB. Usuzally apps have only 0.5 to 1, sometimes a bit more GB, but new games deliberately developed as "VR operas" like Wrath of Asgard II, can have 30, 40 GB. If such big games are your thing, you better go with the bigger Quest from beginning on.

A silicon rim for the face cover also is recommended. The default one is just cloth. And when you sweat in the face... A vdentilator also is a good idea. A must, if you do virtual workouts, preventing lense fogging.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-03-24 at 06:20 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote