View Single Post
Old 12-28-23, 03:14 AM   #244
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Playing on the Quest to me mostly is in active, sports-like titles like table tennis and racket, however I got early a title that after the buying for some reason dropped off my radar screen completely and which I just now, after 8 weeks, have discovered in full - after I remembered that I got it. Demeo.

Now, Demeo brings back the glory of good old tabletop dungeon crawlers. As such, is it very difficult (all tabletop dungeon crawlers are, they say...) and plenty of experience with the game mechanics is needed to stand a chance to survive it. Interestingly, it is by the same publishing company that has given us Racket Club VR, which i appreciated very much, as you may have noticed. And Demeo shines with the same outstanding technical excellence. It also illustrates the best of what mixed reality can give you in VR, allowing the playfield being projected into your living room, and, when sitting comfortably on a couch or whereever, tilting the playing area at many angles for more convenient viewing, zooming it, zooming yourself INTO the dungeon, rotating it, all done with a breeze. The technical implementation is outstanding and must be seen to understand what VR offers when the potential is competently made use of.

On the game's content I let the video speak. You either like the principle, or you don't, but if you played tabletops and dungeon crawlers in your youth days, you will love this one, its a dream coming true. But again: its tough, and for players new to this sort of games who never played D&D and the likes, it might be frustrating in the beginning, thinking of the game mechanics as unfair. Well, they are simple in structure but difficult to master in the consequences they are meant to create, while just handling the game and playfield is as easy as it can get, and you can get better with experience of how to best use the features and first learning how to use what combat style best and what the cards are about and how to make best use of them. It is all about experience with the game mechanics. Difficult? Absolutely. But it can get learned. And its not incompetent game design creating the difficultly - understand this, please.

Breathtaking technical implementation. Animated tabletop figurines, that show delicate detail if you just zoom in close. So, see this indeed as a boardgame brought into VR, not as a 1st person RPG. As long as you have no aversion to dungeon crawlers, this game is a must have in VR, and a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate to your friends your brandnew VR headset. You may stick with the game's inbuild hobby room where the playing table is set up or you have the virtual table projected into your live living room, where it will all by itself find itself an ideal place, may it be the table in the room, or the carpet, the top of the cupboard... Or it is in a free spot in your room, and you and your multiplayer friends walk around it like around a real table (you also see their avatars) , forging your plans for your next battlemoves and disucssing your next moves (cooperation of the characters is of utmost importance) Impressive, and on a sidenote: enabled by clever use of AI analysis of the camera's input. All this makes Demeo visually very, very impressive, and one of the most highly rated games by players in VR so far.

P.S. The video is on an earlier verision fo the game after relase,. Meanwhile the party size has been increased from 3 to 4, and there are 4 more character classes. Each of therse command a very difcferent apporoach to how to play the game if wanting to survirve. The game is very well playable in single player as I do, but must be a blast for those preferring to play with 2-4 live friends in multiplayer.

And this one is just one exmaple fo the many helful tutorials of whgicb there are amny, for exmaple on each of the 8 character classes and how to make best use of their individual features .

Edit:
Very relevant is that the only real point of criticism, the need to play all three levels of oen chapter in one row, not beign able to save inbetween and thus needing to invest 2-3 hours in a row, have been cured finally by the latest patch. You can now save the game and leave any time you want, returning to it later. I now remember that this was what stopped me form going into Demo earlier.

Also, a new game of the frnahcise has been just released, called Demeo Battles. In Demeo, its always cooperative game mode and one floor can cost you one hour of playing time a d every chapter has three floors to mop with monsters, in Demeo Battles you can play competeti8tvely in deadly 1v1 and 2v2 (or AI bots), the rounds, so I read, last around 20 minutes, and the playing area shrinks due to "the Burn", lava for example eating up the outer rims of the playing area and thus forcing the characters mercilessly into the centre to meet the final ultimate fight with the others. It added the save-anytime-feature that after release then got patched into the original Demeo as well.

P.P.S.
I would like to see this game principle and its technical implementation being used on some real world tac ops SWAT game or special-commandos-house-clearing game.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-28-23 at 03:26 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote