Old 12-26-23, 05:59 PM   #92
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

30 April 1942
Suva/Nadi still fighting back

SOPAC
Hiei and Kirishima shelled Suva overnight but did not appear to do much damage. I had some Betties do some night bombing afterwards and lost one to flak.

At the same time as the shelling, I was landing aviation support in the hopes that the base at Nadi would be mine shortly. The enemy took the opportunity to get some airstrikes in, and once again my long-range CAP wasn't really up to the task. Catalinas scored three hits on a cargo ship for a kill, and damaging a second. The sunk cargo ship took an aviation support company with it--the first complete land unit we've lost in the war. We lost 3 Zeroes trying to defend the landing while only splashing 1 P-39. Heavy bomber raids caused a few casualties on the beach as well.

An enemy minesweeper ran from my task force at Nadi, allowing the KB to pick it off with some Vals.

Sumatra
We now have full control of the island with the capture of Sabang at the northwest tip.

Malaya
The CVE Taiyo has received sufficient temporary repairs to safely move it to Japan. The CVLs Zuiho and Shoho, along with the Hiryu, have reported to Singapore for a maintenance stand-down.