View Single Post
Old 11-16-23, 12:51 PM   #1869
bweiss
Loader

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post

I do have a copy of the NYGM Crew Management Mod and can convert it over to a JSGME file, if you really like that mod.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Oh wow, thanks Fubar. I was just looking thru the NYGM CMM 1.1 mod, and figured I could probably modify all the necessary files, except for the data/Submarine/NSS_Uboatxxx.sim files for each boat that I presume (perhaps incorrectly), need to be modified for Steel Coffin v.5? I've never been able to get the S3D tool to work for me very well. I'm also not sure about all the Data/Cfg files though. Most are pretty straight forward, some not so much.

Are these CMM 1.1 Submarine NSS files compatible without modification? Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. But since I would need to use S3D to find out, I'm in the dark as to the compatibility question with Fifi's SC v.5.

So the question is;

1. Are the NYGM CMM 1.1, Data/Submarine/NSS_Uboatxxx.sim files compatible with the Steel Coffin v.5 version where one can just replace them and CMM will work with SC v.5?

(Providing one also then converts (inserts data), into the Data/Cfg files (basic, sim, and all the crew files, and the Data/Menu/en_menu.txt, and finally the "menu_1024_768.ini" file entries).

I'm presuming all of these files need to have their internal information inserted into Fifi's files, or perhaps not all of them need changed at all? Not sure about all that either. The "en_menu.txt" and "menu_1024_768.ini" are simple enough. Basic.cfg, and Sim.cfg, I'm not entirely sure about. They change aspects, but whether or not that's compatible with SC v.5, I do not know. I can see i.e,. Fifi changed renown values in the Basic.cfg file, that CMM 1.1 alters. They (NYGM and Fifi), are approaching the aspect of how renown is granted and the ultimate outcome of it for one's career, and both take a bit of a different approach. So I don't want to mess up what Fifi has done here, but I also would like to try CMM 1.1 as I prefer it to those fatigue models currently in SH3 Cmdr. I've been using onealex and Kaa's fatigue models, but CMM 1.1 keeps haunting me. Just not sure what it does to how Fifi approached this aspect of SH3.

But yeah, if you have an already compatible JSGME version I'd love to have that old friend, ole pal, ole kamerade o mine...

Or, if you can just answer some questions as I work my way thru it would be a kind enough gift. Much appreciate.

Here are a couple of items from the NYGM CMM 1.1 readme files which bring up questions relative to how this mod would interact with Fifi's SC v.5.

(From the CMM Crew Management - addendum doc):

"3. The default crew configurations are designed to give you the necessary crew members qualifications to run the boat properly. You will need to fill out the remaining warrant officer and seamen crew slots to get an effective operating crew. Crew configurations for the Type II, VII and IX have been reduced to more accurately reflect actual crew numbers."

(My Comment): Are they simply recommending that one needs to add crew members (Warrant and seaman)? Because then it goes on to say: "Crew configurations for the Type II, VII and IX have been reduced to more accurately reflect actual crew numbers." Okay, so which is it? Either the crew numbers have been reduced and that's how they intended it to be, or one needs to bulk up on crewman before putting to sea which seems counter-intuitive to their original intent?

"4. The basic.cfg and en_menu.txt have a number of changes not related to fatigue. The goal of these changes are to convert the reward system into a tonnage based system. Be careful when using this with existing careers. The changes necessary to create a tonnage based reward system necessitated changes to the main.cfg. The included file will need to be placed in the My Docs/SH3/data/cfg folder."

(My Comment): This then gets at the issue I alluded to above. Fifi took a bit of a different route concerning the reward system I believe. He cut down on the renown gained in certain places, like actually going to your patrol grid for 24 hrs. No criticism meant here, but I tend to like the idea of the reward system and morale being tied to tonnage as acquired/destroyed, kind of a risk/reward system. So at the 10,000 foot level, how would/will using CMM 1.1 with Fifi's SC v.5, cooperate. Or will this mess up Fifi's strategy completely? Which I hesitate to do. Perhaps I'm overthinking this?

(From the CMM Crew Management.doc):

"The helmsman qual is no longer required and has been eliminated."

(My Comment): How does this play with SC v.5?

Otherwise, with the Basic.cfg file I suppose using winmerge and comparing Fifi's Basic.cfg, and CMM's Basic.cfg, would tell me what needs changed in Fifi's file to make it compatible. But the crew.cfg files throw me a bit. Do I just replace Fifi's crew.cfg files, or use winmerg and make changes? Editing the menu_1024_768.ini file is self explanatory.

Same with the Sim.cfg file. It's a small file, simple enough. But the settings for CMM are different than Fifi's. So I'm presuming the Sim.cfg file is just replaced with the CMM Sim.cfg. But, how does that impact Fifi's settings, or does it. In other words, all I want is to make the necessary changes to work with CMM, and not alter other aspects of Fifi's settings.

And then there's those pesky Submarine/NSS_Uboatxxx.sim files that I have no clue about since I can't get S3D to cooperate to even take a peek inside.

Maybe I should have stuck with checkers.

Last edited by bweiss; 11-16-23 at 04:29 PM.
bweiss is offline   Reply With Quote