View Single Post
Old 11-07-23, 04:03 PM   #203
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

This is almost a most personal, most intimate confession.

In the Quest, there is an app named TV, its something like youtube, but features exclusively stereoscopic 3D movies in 360° and 180°. Usually 360°/180° video means 360°/180° in 2D, but this is stereoscopic at all directions. And the film I watched was 18 minutes, title was "The ISS experience. Spacewalk extended." There are two or three 360° videos "The ISS Experience", one for example from the stereoscopic cockpit of a T-38 Talon trainer jet of Nasa. But the one I mean was "Spacewalk extended." I ran into this unsuspicous, and unprepared. Which was a great gift.

What should I say. I had to break three times, wiping the tears out of my eyes. It was an emotionally most overwhelming experience. I had not expected that. The huge, complex structure of the station around me, its a labyrinth of substructures. The Earth, sometimes emerging from pitchblack, sometimes sliding back into it, the blue and white racing beneath me. The stark contrast between black shadows and white-like sunlight, so very different from shadows we are used to from living on the surface and in the atmosphere of planet Earth. Its one thing to see it in TV, or to read about it, to hear an astronaut talkign about it. Its a totally different thing to be there, to be immersed in it, all angles, all directions. The astronauts doing work on the structure. Man, you cannot imagine how huge this structure is, if you have not seen it the way I just have seen it, you just cannot imagine it. I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of Earth, and the unbelievable fact that humans are able to build something like this structure, and in space. It kicked me into complete overload. Emotional security valves opened, thats why the tears, else I would have imploded.

It was spiritual. Something in this experience has anchored something inside me, changed something.

For heavens sake, if you have the opportunity to watch this in VR, then just do it. And do not watch it before, in 2D-360°, on a screen. Allow to meet this first in full stereoscopic true 360° 3D.

I tell you, this was intense. Very.

What a miracle all this is. Life. Earth. ISS. VR. Evertyhing. Its unbelievable, surreal.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-07-23 at 07:02 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote