View Single Post
Old 10-30-23, 08:08 AM   #6926
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The House could turn into 'Lord of the Flies' under 'weak' Speaker Johnson: GOP insider.

Quote:
The pressing need for a new budget deal to keep the government from shutting down, along with a caucus split on helping Ukraine, has all the hallmarks of handing newly-elected House Speaker Michael Johnson (R-LA) more than he can handle as he heads into his first full week in te top spot.

According to a report from Vox, there are some within the Republican Party who believe Johnson bit off more than he can chew by agreeing to replace Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) in the leadership position and more GOP chaos could be headed his way.

According to Ben Jacobs of Vox, one insider predicted the caucus will descend into "Lord of the Flies" state soon enough because the inexperienced Johnson is "weak."

As Jacobs wrote, "The challenge for Johnson is that he is going to face one tripwire with his conference even before he’s fully moved into his new office: the matter of Ukraine aid, opposition to which has become a shibboleth for many on the MAGA right. The Biden administration has proposed a major funding bill that would combine aid to Israel and Ukraine as well as funding for border security."

Reporting that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) who led the GOP insurrection against McCarthy is, for the moment, giving Johnson some "breathing room," Jacobs suggested it could be a tenuous peace.

The report adds, "Gaetz cautioned that because a recent amendment on Ukraine aid did not receive the support of a majority of House Republicans, future legislation on aid to the Eastern European country should not receive any consideration in the House because it violated the Hastert Rule, the recent tradition among House Republicans that all legislation should have the support of 'a majority of the majority.' He noted that 'the last time Ukraine funding was on the floor of the House ... [a] majority of the majority voted against it. That usually ends a measure’s prospects for consideration.'"

Rep. Don Bacon (R-NE) suggested that Johnson will have to assert himself to maintain control when it comes to Ukraine funding and negotiating with President Joe Biden.

“I think he’s gonna do it,” explained Bacon. “But there’s gonna have to be some good take on the border. And I think the president just can’t say, ‘I want X amount of money.’ ... He’s got to say why he wants it and make the case.”
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...844b1ac4&ei=38

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote