View Single Post
Old 10-09-23, 11:39 PM   #5721
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid97 View Post
One of the things I found messing with the BuPers mod work is that the medal's wording is fixed as a generic paragraph. I'm not on my install computer, but I believe it's in one of the lines towards the bottom of the 'ini' file (menu_1024_768.ini maybe ???).

Anyway, one of the options I did was try to make it even MORE generic so it doesn't look like what you're seeing.

Another option I'm looking at is leaving the line as "null" (no wording whatsoever) and replacing the whole thing with a sort of certificate and medal package with proper wording for the medal. Granted, that will be dependant on whether I can define a proper entry for the "image" once I can make it since the current "image" is a cropping of the medal placed in front of a background image.

Bottom line, the awards system in the game is, well, lacking. Nothing in b/w that can be verified, but it would appear that what a dev posted a while back regarding the number of ships, time between sinkings, etc, is fairly accurate.

Unless someone can figure out how to edit the "exe" like "hsie" did with SH3 to change a few things, it would seem that the medals will be awarded via the hard-coded system. All we can do is try and make things somewhat more generic than what they gave us as far as the award wording goes.

ElCid97
The medals sitch in Stock is "off", so much so that even CapnScurvy was unable to "fix" it with a mod, which is in FotRSU. There are several files involved with the medals, including the menu.txt file with the wording you describe, but also menu_1024_768.ini, which builds the pages seen in the game, as well as controlling the text formatting. Therein lies the rub. You might notice that the text is right-justified for whatever reason, and the text "box" is oddly constructed, making it quite difficult to format the wording in a 'normal' manner. A re-writing of the section for the medals text (at a minimum) would be necessary, even if just including an image for a "certificate". SH5 has a graphical editing utility for menu_1024_768.ini, and there are a couple of tutorials written by folks attempting such work, attempting to adapt the SH5 utility for use in SH3 and/or SH4. You could try Editing SH3 menu with SH5 built-in Menu Editor as an example, and see how far you can get. Be forewarned though, that there are quite a few SH4 sections that will NOT import into the SH5 Editor, plus the fact that you must be prepared for the resultant trashing of your SH5 install from putting SH4 files in it... there are other caveats trying that, but I can't think of them right now...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote