Thread: A few new ideas
View Single Post
Old 10-07-23, 12:37 PM   #77
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

62. Moving the forward torpedo to the side.

This is necessary to allow, eventually for the controls to set gyro angles, right at the front between the tubes to be accessible. Currently the collider for the stored central torpedo prevents access to this, and the safety and firing levers. It actually makes more sense for the 1st reload to be stored either in line laterally with tubes 1/3, or the opposite side, with subsequent reloads being opposite an empty tube on one side or t'other. In the case of the aft-tube, it should only be on the rack after a torpedo is fired, and probably only whilst the boat is surfaced, owing to the difficulty of operating the emotor with a torpedo hanging centrally - or to one side. I do not think that an aft reload would be left on it's cradle at any time, but would be reloaded when surfaced, as soon as possible.

At some point in the future this change would allow for torpedo man being a playable role, if not, perhaps one with a dedicated full-time player?

My estimate is that the 1st reload would be kept on the suspended cradle for as little time as possible, in order that the two lines of berths was available to the off-watch crew in that compartment, and in-line with either tubes 1 and 3, or the other side in-line with tubes 2 and 4. As the reload process was very noisy with winches and chain-hoists in use, I very much doubt this was done with proximity to the enemy, or, was done at depths making hydrophone detection unlikely. I'd be interested to hear of anyone with further information on reloading procedures.

Last edited by Fidd; 10-07-23 at 09:41 PM.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote