View Single Post
Old 06-18-23, 01:11 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

No kidding. The prospect of ascending in a Boson's chair is unappealing to me as well. As for being scared of heights, my first short-lived occupation out of college ('73) was as a cable TV pole climber with Wecosa boots and calf-spikes for vertical ascents. Training consisted of climbing 90 foot poles and tossing a ball with two others on their respective poles. The first day, one of the newbies looked down midway up and completely "lost it"; put his climb-shanks through the boot calfs into his leg in blind panic. It fell to me and the other trainee, novices both, to climb up on the pole's lesser sides to calm him down; finish belting him to the pole, and belay him to the ground before he fell of his own accord. I didn't last long, having meagre electrical aptitude...the poor fellow who helped me later was killed on a pole sometime later when the electrical power transformer atop it exploded...I kept the electrical pocket knife after returning all the other gear; it's still out in the garage after 50 years awaiting the next household electrical chore (my meagreness notwithstanding) Here's one of my William Henry knives which i acquired a few decades ago. Titanium handled with Damascus blade and clip case; I don't ever carry it as I'm terrified of lo$ing it:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-19-23 at 09:24 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote