View Single Post
Old 06-17-23, 10:12 AM   #3
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

I am a Swiss Army Knife fan.

The Locksmith is my daily carry during the week

On weekends I carry the Wave, which evidently they don't make any more. The closest thing is the Wave +

With multi tools there is a delicate balance of size.

Some are easier to carry but the tools are not big enough to be all that useful. At the other end you have multi-tools with nice big tools but that makes carrying it harder.

To me, the Wave was the best balance of small enough to carry but having tools big enough to be of practical use for me.

I used to carry a dedicated knife, but quickly realized that it was a dedicated knife. Good for cutting but lousy at anything else. I find myself often in need of a screwdriver or something to pry/scrape with. That's when I went back to the SAK. The blade is good enough and there are plenty of other tools in the same package.

It is amusing to watch the knife snob YouTube channels where they argue about steel composition. Nick Shabaz used to be amusing to watch but recently he has gone off the deep end, in my opinion. He jumped my personal shark when he was comparing the sounds of different knives being flicked.

To me, there are three types of knife people

1. People who collect knives (ohh look at the dimascus blade and ceramic ball detente. Pretty)

2. People who play with knives (flicking knives like it was a figit spinner)

3. People who use knives. (I have a life and this job is a small part to get over with)

I am more the third type. While I can appreciate knife design, it is, to me, a tool. I don't want to have intimate relationships with tools.