View Single Post
Old 06-17-23, 08:44 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I owned Katanas in the past, but no more since many years now, two were historic, one of that was quite precious.

I have three different Victorinix Swiss Army knifes, two of the Champion series, and their "Leatherman" equivalent. I love Victorinox stuff. Even their cheap kitchen knives are of exquisit quality, the sharpness of their blades last much longer than on other knives of that price range. That is also true for their pocket knives, in Europe its called the Swiss "miracle steel", and the way their sharpen them is a top secret of that company. The sharpness lasts very long. - They also have some good looking watches, made of granite.

I have two Japanese Damast kitchen knives by Hattori (64 folding layers), the company is economically troubled, but the knives are so sharp that it is scaring. One is a 20 cm blade length Gyoto, the other a smaller 10 cm so-called office knife. I do not use them every day, but grind them every few weeks with water abrasive stones (such knives are not sharpened when they are dull, but they are sharpened to prevent them from becoming dull in the first place). This is time-consuming, but very relaxing, almost meditative. A razor blade is dull in comparison. It's true what you sometimes read: a really sharp knife with a narrow edge can cut you without you feeling it right away.

My last buyings of quality knives were a most classic Güde bread knife of 30cm (this company was the one that introduced the "Wellenschliff" (serrated edge?) to the world of knife blades, and this knife is the classic one with which they did it first). The other was a Morakniv Garberg, blackened. Its surprisingly heavy for its size and has a thick grip, for both I especially like it. Some criticise these two points, but not me, I find it great. Thick blade, this is a robust tool. I do not need it, but I wanted it.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-17-23 at 08:55 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote