Old 05-02-23, 02:08 PM   #5423
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
@propbeanie
I am a little confused by what you said about new sub/ship upgrade/conning tower upgrade.

1. Just to confirm what negative things would happen (say for example if you accept Tench before 1/1/1945)? You would become baseless unable to end a patrol?

2. How am I supposed to know the actual in-game "active" date for each boat?

3. When I am offered a new command, they don't tell you what new boat you are getting. So I guess if you accept it and it turns out to be a Tench before 1/1/1945 then quit and reload?

4. Lastly (the game will ALWAYS offer the new boat first). I ended my patrol at Brisbane in June 1942. Based on "BoatsByMonth", the new boat for Brisbane would be Sargo, but I was offered a Salmon. I guess the "BoatsByMonth" is outdated as you said?
1. If you take a Tench on 1944-12-31, you will not have a home port, even on 1945-08-01, you will not have a home port. This is the story behind The Flying Dutchman, doomed to roam the 7 seas, looking for home, but unable to find it...

2. That spreadsheet is close to accurate, but the only two boats the player has to worry about are the Balao (1943-05-21) and the Tench (1945-01-01), so just remember those two. The Gato is in early 1942, but unless you "seed" your renown score before March, no biggie.

3. If it is before May of 1943, the Tench will not show up. Generally, the "earliest" we've seen either of the boats offered is one quarter, so in February of 1943 for the Balao, and October of 1944 for the Tench, though I'm sure someone has gotten them earlier, if they had a HUGE renown score...

4. Yes, but herein lies the rub: We used to have each class of boat as its own "level", starting at zero "0" with the S-Boats, going up to 8 with the Tench... unfortunately, that made the "New Boat" issue worse, in that there was almost always a new, higher ranked boat available for the game to "reward" you with. Therefore, we went back to the "old" way, and the S-boats through the Porpoise are now one level, the Salmon & Sargo are next, then the Tambor and Gar, then the Gato, then the Balao, and lastly the Tench. The game will almost always choose the "lower" class as your new boat assignment. If you instead earn enough renown for a higher class boat, it will step up to the next Class, such as the Tambor instead of the Salmon... kind of irritating the way the game does stuff like that, but it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebby View Post
The Oracle speaks.... and so It worked!

Thanks again for setting me up.

Only thing with multiple copies of the game is that only if I change the name to the original title of "SH4 Gold Edition" in the game folder the game runs, with any mods and just fine.
Have to re-change the name in my gamefolder (outside of any program files)
If I want another modded version.

Yes, there are differences between the older Ubisoft copies (which I have), and the newer ones with the updated UConnect, which I have not tried to deal with my SH4 install yet. I have with SH5, and it is a bother... You can build your own desktop short-cuts, or make them in the Ubi Launcher also, but I do not remember the Launcher's way... you can right-click on your desktop though, then "New", "Shortcut", and then the "Browse" button and navigate to find your game install folder. Find the SH4.exe file, and "Next", then change the name to whatever you want, and "Finish" that. With my version of UConnect, I don't have to go through the Ubi Start, but maybe with the newer version they might want to check your "license", which Steam does similar the first time you run a copy of their game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote