View Single Post
Old 03-02-23, 04:40 PM   #538
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Argentine cancles the Foradori-Duncan-Pact after new gas and oil was found in the vicinity of the Falkand Islands.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/388221...lands-malvinas

Really...? Again...?

My standpoint on this remains the same like last time it was discussed. The people on the island said with overwhelming majority whom they want to stay with. And after almost 200 years of British sovereignty that is the by far most important argument for me that counts. Argentinia has no claim there.

History Timeline:
1592 first sighting by english seafahrers.
1690 first landing by an Engishg party.
1764 and 1766 foundign of two settlements, a French (Port Louis) and a British (Port Egmont)
1766 the Fench settlement was handed over by the French to the Spanish.
1774 the British gave up their settlement.
1811 Spain ended the support of their former French settlement, claimed only formal sovereignty over its half of the islands
Since then there is dispute over the Island, first between Britain and Spain, later between Britain and Argentine.
Not before 1820 Argentine claimed sovereignty over the island.
1833 the British founded a fleet base to underline their own claim for the islands.

The population of today predominantly stems from the British colonists that went to the Falklands in the 1830s.

A referendum from 2013 had 99.8% of the island population voting for staying with the UK. And this is what decides this issue for me. Only 3 people voted against the British.

The British have a garrison of around 1350 soldiers, mostly infantry, radiomen, and dock workers, says Wikipedia Deutschland. Plus alwas 1-2 surface warships, probably a submarine, and 4-6 Eurofighters.

The admiral commanding the Bitish fleet in the war from 1982 later said that nowadays the British would most likely be unable to retake the islands again if the Argentinians would again conquer them. My conclusion: the only military option thus can be not to lose them again in the first. Solid air defences, good radar and a constant submarine presence are the cards to play, I suppose!?

Last edited by Skybird; 03-02-23 at 05:09 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote