Old 01-15-23, 09:13 AM   #219
blueduck
Commander

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1 View Post
Blackswan:
Greetings for the New Year. I wanted to follow-up on the strange lack of distant convoys that appear on the nav map deep into the war years. I tried to upload to you a photo of my empty map screen, I think sometime in 1940 when there would be a great deal of shipping around the British Isles...but none appear on the nav map. I have no idea if you were able to open it.

As a test I created a newby Kaleun and sent him and his sub on multiple patrols starting all over again. The same thing - A few neutral and friendly ships appear in the near waters of Germany deep into 1940, but nothing around the British Isles. Actually there is always an enemy convoy in the East Channel. But that is all.

It seems to make no difference what changes I make to the Data/Contacts settings - whether near or far. Random, rare attackable targets do appear here and there as the game progresses. I am sure I had some type of God's Eye View adjustment with SH3 and GWX, but cannot find how that was possible. Certainly I agree with you: lots of British Isle ships are designed into the program, but do not seem to appear on the nav map unless they are in a decent reach of the player's sub for possible a attack.

Is a puzzlement.
Archive1

Hi Archive1,

guess I found the "problem".
Using mission editor to have a look into the random layer, choosing and right clicking on a convoy you can read the values for "Contact automatic report (Min)" and "Probability (%)". If the first is set to -1 there will be no report. If the percentage is less than 100%, there might be a e.g. 50% chance for a report.

For the convoys through the channel CAR is set to 1440 or 2160 which means the contact report will be "repeated" within 24 or 36 hours. I guess this long time for the channel convoys is set to not interrupt time compression too often, when you are traveling through the channel.
Convoys crossing the Atlantic are e.g. set to CAR=600 which will report them every 10 hours maybe simulating a sub chasing that convoy.

When leaving from the french harbours you might rush out of the detection window before the repeat time is reached.

Regards
Blueduck
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote