View Single Post
Old 12-10-22, 05:24 PM   #76
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Today I have just had one of the best and most amazing VR experiences since the starting phase of my VR journey in late 2017 - I was stunned and blown away as intensely as back then I was stunned by Google Earth VR and Streetview VR. After having checked a bit on whether my G2 Reverb and its handheld controlpieces would work with it, I decided to try Vermillion VR. Its an oil painting simulator, so to speak, and as I said: it blows the mind, that good it is. Intuitive handling for the most, and for my layman perception at least: more than enough realism. I have not dive dinto the options the browser offers, you can set up an included internet browser while sitting in your virtual atleier, and follow for example youtube painting practive lessons. You cna copy am image of yours onto the canvas, lower the colour saturation and fade its contours and then use this as shadow of the former image as an aid to bring the rogh lines of forms and objects onto the canvas, then delete the image and manually paint, as if you had used charcoal to draw a sketch first - the only detail that I wa smissing in this first session with vermillion: charcoal. But there are workarounds to sketch initial outlines of the picture you are painting. All hanbdling feels extrenely natural, you can easily alter the way in which yoruvirtual hand holds the brush or palette knife, alter angles, size, stiffness of brushes, mix colours on the palette - it is easy, it is iuntuive, it is done like you would do it in real life - breathtakingly good! I rate this as a must-have and a VR reference title. As a simnulation of a real world topic, its also top ranks, like Eleven for table tennis is, the cinema themes for Virtual Desktop are to watch you mirrored desktop and from there a Youtube or DVD movie on the big movie screen, or Google Earth VR and Google Streetview VR.

Superb software, big time find today! I am no painter, but maybe now I become one. But that woudl need MY work - the software doe snot turn me into one automatically. What it does is it privdes me with a fullscale atelier and all tools and materials needed to start in painting in oil. And no messy workplace that needs to be cleaned up after you are done!

I wonder if somebody will do a similar program for watercolours, and or pastels? I played around with both a little bit in my young years. The flooding we had 2014 literally washed away the around one dozen of pictures I had left. No loss in quality maybe, but a sentimental one.

P.S. Yes, the paintings can be printed, either from within the software, or, if optimisation is needed (its about the pixel scaling), via external workarounds that are explained in video tutorials. Video tutorials play a big role in this simulator anyway.

A beta (that I am not interested in) also allows "multiplayer". Hm. Painting in multiplayer invokes some wild fantasies, doesn't it ...