View Single Post
Old 11-18-22, 10:44 AM   #155
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

I was once very excited about the sleek, futuristic look of the Aptera when it was first revealed. However, a man's "mission" defines the type of vehicle that the mission necessitates. For a very long time now i have been in a space in my life that required the long haul, long duration endurance towing capability offered by a heavy duty pickup truck. I had tools, equipment, travel trailer, ladders - everything i needed to not only live long term away from home, but also perform all of my work related duties while there - absolutely had to fit in, on and behind that truck and it had to carry the load sometimes 1,200 miles or more in a 48 hour period.

The offerings from electric car manufacturing that would do that, do not currently exist to my knowledge.

now, i am at a point where my Mission has definitely changed. BUT my truck is paid for free and clear, with a bumper to bumper power train lifetime warranty. Do i really want to sink cash into yet another vehicle? Financially for me right now it doesnt make much sense to do that.

On the longer term i see something similar to cash for clunkers like we had several years back. A government subsidized program in which you receive special financial incentives to trade in your gas burner vehicle for a select series of electric vehicles.

My fear is, we would be putting our eggs in one basket with EVs

when the great power outtage in the freak snow storm that wiped out most of the Texas electrical grid hit us (my home remained unaffected by this), however my in laws both in their 70s had no power. For the older folks out there this can be a life threatening situation. I was still able to load up my big off road 4x4 gas guzzler and drive across the frozen tundrascape to get them and bring them to our warm house with wood burning fireplace and cooking capabilities and running water etc. If i had an EV at the time, this simply would not have been possible for me to do.

with aggressive nations having access to nuclear weapons, how would an EMP impact the USA in 30 years when everyone has EVs? we would be in the horse and buggy days overnight. Let alone a natural disaster than leaves entire swaths of the gulf coast or atlantic coast without power for 2 or 3 days. what im getting at is - despite the rise of EVs, i believe that fuel burners will always have a place on our roads.