View Single Post
Old 09-10-22, 06:13 PM   #1175
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I only played TMO Classic w/ RSRDC for like the last 5 or 6... or more years and in that all the periscopes went above the water all the time. So it appears that the more the game gets MODed, the further it gets away from Original/Vanilla SH-4. That is to say, it becomes less of the “balanced” computer game/simulation that UBIsoft originally intended (that had a TON of bugs), and more of a dedicated simulation as more and more MODers refine and enhance it.

Until just now when I read yours and BH's explanation of the situation I had no real knowledge of the specific history of the periscopes of U.S. NAVY inter-war and WWII submarines. So what I thought was a problem was in fact not a problem at all, but rather a more honest representation of the actual periscopes of these boats.

So, much ado over nothing... I guess.

Thanks for the info and explanations, and sorry about the unnecessary questions and speculations.

I still maintain that the Flying Dutchman is riding a little to high in the water... unless you or someone else have a real life explanation for that too.

-StealthRabbit

Honestly has been so long since played the stock game, but could swear the control room periscope on the Sargo, Salmon, and Porpoise classes (early war boats) required a shallower depth to use properly an this carried over into various mods.

In TMO Update (as stated) I changed the default periscope depth to that which is best suited for the refitted conning tower, which becomes 64 ft , same periscope depth for Gato etc.

Glad could inform you on the periscopes. Actually a interesting process of evolution, trial and error the periscopes went through before and during the war. Feel free to ask any questions may have.

Yes, modding community have enhanced SH 4 from a "half assed" and bug filled attempt at a decent submarine simulation to what I consider still the best WW II submarine simulation (especially for fleetboats) around today.

I have no idea about the dutchman riding high(its a stock vessel), probably ran into it twice in the sim and ignored it both times.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote