Old 08-20-22, 02:59 PM   #1084
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I do endeavor to read (and have read) all the read me's. I mean, people go threw the effort of writing it after making a free MOD that makes my game better, the least I can do is read the read me before I go and bother the person that made the MOD about something they did cover already. That's my thinking anyway. Everyone is different. It's just soooo much info... and then I will try and go threw message threads to see if a subject has been talked about... but there is not just 2 or 3 of thoes. I guess some stuff is bound to just fall out of my head... getting crowded in there.

Anyway...

I guess I put the IJN radar fix in out of habit, because I do remember read me info saying it was included, silly me.

So far the only issue I have had (besides that one time weird Way Point plotter thing) is when I try and load a save where I am near multiple ships I get a CTD. However this was not a huge surprise because I remember this happening with TMO classic now and then, and because I make many saves (especially with the new MOD and all) it did not ruin my day/patrol. Besides that everything has been smooth.

On the personal preference side of things, that new klaxon sound when I give the order to dive is... jarring. It even startled my oldest pet rabbit who is use to everything and is never startled anymore. He looked at me as if to say “Why would you do that?”. (Or maybe I'm anthropomorphising). I think I might try out alternate sound MODs. Know of any that have something with a name like Klaxon not-so-loud? I do enjoy the immersion but I have never been a fan of any of the klaxon sounds. I guess I startle easy.

Have not come across a single Japanese cargo ship yet. If you have reduced the traffic as much as I think it will defiantly be a fix for 1,000,000 tone careers. That's a good thing. I want it to be a challenge to get to the top of that Aces list. Also I hope it's possible with just a bit of dedication. Time will tell.

Did I say starting 6 months before Dec 7, 1941 is awesome? Because it is.

Thanks again.
StealthRabbit

Yes, it is a lot of information, I tried to be detailed though. SH 4 is a fairly complex simulation actually, and submarine warfare was complex so simulating it properly is also. Mods do make things more realistic, enhance things, but can make it more complex as well.

Traffic is now overall slower and yes its more difficult to reach the top, but it also depends on factors such as the time period...early war, mid war, late war, assigned patrol area.

Pre-War "campaign, nice. I've played through twice in testing, it can be fun or boring lol. Odds are, you likely will not see a lot of traffic because its pre war. Japanese vessels which will ignore you one patrol, then attack you the next, then ignore you again, it depends. This reflects escalating tensions . Creates a sense of tension though, you never know. Also depends on your orders, where you are assigned.

In one pre war career, I spotted the a carrier (Akagi), on its sea trials in 1941) and shadowed, sent a contact report. While at periscope depth, observing from about 4000 yards plane spotted me, missed with bombs but two destroyers came my way, after fired at my scope, fired "down the throat" shot in self defense and went deep. I had external camera off but heard one of two torpedoes impact, followed by explosions, breaking up noises, was credited with sinking a destroyer. Next patrol spotted a japanese tanker, which ignored me.

Pre War career spotted one Japanese merchant vessel, that was it, just how it worked out.

Pre war career is a good chance to hone your operations, familiarity with the boats capabilities, get the crew some experience, etc but has that sense of tension due to possible threats. Get invested in career than once war starts, go from there.

Yes, should never save near ships etc. That is cardinal rule of SH 4.

When saving a game, should always make sure have no contacts on sonar, radar, visual. Check your hydrophone make sure you can hear no vessels, no sound contacts i.e. the green light does not light up.

Be careful how many saves you have, sim can get strange once have too many.

Klaxon is a authentic WW II klaxon, recording of the USS Pampanito in San Francisco, so was used for immersion purposes. Diving klaxons were loud for a reason. If just cant tolerate it, there are alternate dive alarm sounds in the sounds section here at subsim.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 08-20-22 at 03:20 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote