View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 12:50 PM   #5114
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Like Kertch bridge: range. They cannot reach the place currently. Might become possible if they manage to retake their southern coast. In a straight line, Odessa is 300+ km from Sevastopol.

Sonobuys from helicopter needs platforms in the vicinity that can make use of their pings and data. NATO helcioters dping that would mean that NATO enters the war. If the Ukrianioans learn to conduct such ASW operations, they would expose their helicopters to Russian air defence fire.
I take it the Kilos have manpads, but then helicopters have flares and decoys. Ukraine has helicopters, i do not know about any ASW systems though. Probably not easy to equip and lacking training.
Quote:
The only way for NATO would be to run a hunter killer sub in the region, sink the Kilos (if possible, that is...) and then officially denying that one has a sub in the region. Russia does such denial tactics all the time [...]
No chance for a nuclear sub to get past Istanbul, also a ('n even modern US) nuclear sub is noisier than a Kilo. You would need a modern 'conventional' submarine, and i see no way to get such to the Black sea.
Radar, sonar buoys and properly equipped Helicopters could do it, maybe with Snake island as a base.
Or reactivate the 30th flotilla. Getting subs to the black sea overland has been done before

Seriously, Kilos have been introduced in the 1990ies. 30 years and no idea to find them?
Armed drones with radar?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.