View Single Post
Old 07-16-22, 07:39 PM   #4851
Rifle Infantry
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie
The JyunsenB is the ubiquitous IJN sub, and it has hydrophones after 19430101, so when you are headed that way prior to then, no hydrophone.
No wonder they were totally unaware before the last few seconds. Poor bare-arsed bastards; I would hate to be a Japanese skipper leaning on only visual contact for attacks.

Quote:
During testing, we would discover that we encountered one after the torpedoes struck... The game does not have any "logic" for the player sub to identify a submerged threat, nor does it have similar for "Incoming torpedo!!!"
Call me masochistic, but I honestly wouldn't be annoyed by that (at least per how hopeless it was for those Jyunsens once they'd spotted my incoming torps). At least it'd give me a reason to conduct periscope patrols by daylight rather than comfortably steaming around with my air search radar covering me (though I bet that won't be such a good idea later in the war).

Quote:
... there most likely is an airplane or two flying around up there at any given time from about February 1942 through September 1942 that "launched" from the subs...
Yet to encounter one south of Umnak- really, anything but Jyunsens. I've just concluded my first patrol with four of 'em on the sea floor. Two went down just like the first- nice, 90 degree torpedo attacks on unaware targets (steaming at the regulation 7 knots), in calm weather. The fourth... well, he put up a fight worthy of his starburst flag.

I'd set up a good interception for him, marked course and speed, etc. etc. only to find that visibility was limited to 2000 yards by the ongoing Pacific storm- and that I was just a mite too far away to catch him in my periscope. No problem, I think, I'll surface and man the deck gun. Better to face his stern gun crew than his torpedoes, right? Bad idea.

His gun crew turned out to be a little more seasoned than mine, and within a minute or two I had damaged bulkheads and men down on the deck. Diving to lick my wounds and take stock, I watched the sonar contact recede into the storm- rather than waiting to finish the job the Japanese skipper'd elected to retreat. Sufficiently baited I moved to intercept.

After some tense minutes of flank-speed pursuit, punctuated by periodic sonar dives, I found him again- once again, practically close enough to shoot small arms at. Once again he gained the edge in the gunnery duel, and this time my S-boat was coming apart at the seams (71% hull damage). I slapped together an ugly firing solution from the conning tower and fired off my remaining three torpedoes, then crash-dived; fully expecting to have lost this one, and worried his (still-firing) deck gun would do me in before I could slip away.

Pop, pop, pop. All three impacts, and one very dead Jyunsen- all before I can even clear decks-awash depth. I've some ugly holes to explain to command, but also 10524 warship tons to pin to my wall.
Rifle Infantry is offline   Reply With Quote